Saturday, August 27, 2011

Washington DC Trip


I decided to visit Washington DC for the first time since the Eisenhower administration. I expected to see some changes from my last visit, but did not anticipate the largest earthquake that the east coast had experienced in years or the worst hurricane. I landed at Dulles about 1.5 hours after the 5.8 earthquake which shook Virginia. For many people on the east coast, this was the first earthquake they had ever experienced. All government workers were sent home at around 3 p.m. and the result was traffic gridlock. It took two hours to go the 20 miles from Dulles to my hotel on the Super Shuttle. The driver said that it was the wost traffic he had ever seen. The next day all DC schools were closed for inspections,. Newspaper headlines read "Shaken and Stirred". There was damage to the Washington Monument and the National Cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment