Saturday, August 27, 2011

National Gallery of Art


On August 24, I visited the National Gallery of Art West Building--my first visit. I was impressed with the diversity of the art work. I had feared it would be all American landscapes. I saw the only Leonard da Vinci painting in North America --Ginerva de Benci c. 1474. I enjoyed the Italian, French, and Spanish galleries as well as the Dutch and Flemish galleries especially the Rembrandts. I was especially interested in Samuel F. B. Morse's Gallery of the Louvre depicting himself and several other people in the foreground and reduced versions of some of the masterpieces from the Louvre in the background. I have been researching Morse's role in the development of the telegraph for my technology book. I was interested to find out more about his art career. I also visited the Chester Dale Exhibit which included several Picasso works including Still Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment